Packet Pad FAQ
Packet Pad lets you view amateur radio (ham radio) Packet Radio transmissions on your iPad/iPhone/iPod.
Just connect it to a radio
(or even set it next to the radio's speaker), tune
in a Packet frequency, and watch the decodes. 144.390 MHz on the 2 meter band is often active
with APRS transmissions. Only 1200 baud packet is decoded.
Turn on the Info Packets ONly switch if you only want to see information frames (packets), and not display
Turn on the Bad CRC Packets switch if you want to see packets with CRC errors.
Want to clear the text? Give your iPad a shake!
To use this app, you need to feed the audio output from a your radio into the device.
You can do this via one of several ways:
You can use the volume indicator in the upper right corner to verify that audio is getting into
your device, and that the volume level is appropriate.
- Set the device near the radio's speaker to pick up the audio. While easy to do,
this is not ideal, as background noise can interfere with the audio, causing garbled decodes.
- Plug headphones into the radio, and set one earphone near the mic. I find that with good
quality headphones, this can work extremely well.
- Use the microphone input jack of your device, by obtaining an appopriate cable and
connecting the radio's line level output to the microphone input.
- With the Camera Connection Kit, you can plug a USB sound input device into the iPad, and use
a patch cable between it and the radio's audio output. This is by far the best solution.
If you are running iOS 7 or later, be sure to give the app permission to use the
microphone. If you denied permission, you can always give it again by following
- Open Settings app and go to "Privacy"
- Select "Microphone" to get a list of all apps that have requested access to the microphone, and to control which apps have access to the microphone
If you're looking for a radio to use with the app, there are many different types to choose from.
Take a look at our
listing of radios to use with your app, to see several, along with some
suggestions on how to choose a radio.
Here are some details on
directly connecting an audio line source to your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch